Pages

Thursday 12 July 2012

Seven and LAB G, Brixton Village: 17/20 and 8/10

Location: Brixton Village, wander till you find it! 

Website: www.sevenatbrixton.com  

Visit: Saturday night

To Notes: go downstairs if you can, out the front gives great people watching

Scores
Ambiance 5/5
Design 4/5
Drinks 3/5
Staff 5/5


Was it booking through my blog that got me the best spot in Seven? I don’t know but I was delighted to pull up on a Saturday night having nabbed the last reservation to perch on a high stool looking out over the entertaining Brixton market maze of corridors (and directly into the “Religious Relics” shop managed by a  cowboy?!)

The evening started very well with a bottle of chilled water filled with cucumber (on of my must haves) and the cocktails all looked great. We opted for a Basil & Ginger Beer Mojito and “Guns of Brixton”, a twist on the Old Fashioned. The first was a little boring but the latter more than made up for it with an orangey smoke haze captured in the bottle!

Then we wandered to the back to choose some Pixtos (mini tapas from Basque) to keep us going whilst browsing the menu. These change daily and you just keep the skewer it came on to be added at the bill at the end. Chorizo and Manchego chunks disappeared quickly and the refried beans were delicious and very moreish. As good as the food was, I would start at Seven for a cocktail and pixtos then move onto another of the restaurants, partly because there are so many places to explore and partly because they are great value for money.

From the “a la carte” we went for Patatas Bravas – my tapas staple and ultimate test – sharing board of meat and Pimiento del Padron. The peppers were some of the best I’ve had and what looked at the outset to be mayonnaise and ketchup on the potatoes turned out to be a lovely combination of spicy tomato and garlicky sauce, if only the potatoes were a little smaller than the half roasters we had! And with the meat board covering four different meats with gherkins, that was us full!

The upstairs was hosting a private costume party at the back – one I have noted for my birthday – and there is one toilet and a few more seats and a lovely haphazard selection of furniture. Staff were knowledgeable and friendly and I look forward to returning soon.



Visit: Saturday night

To Note: Not much...

Scores
Ambiance NA
Design NA
Drinks 5/5 (i.e. ice cream)
Staff 3/5 (end of the evening tiredness had set in...)


After this we wandered to LAB G after I had read how good the ice cream was. There was not the crazy selection of flavours I was hoping for but my god the salted caramel was good. And they really squeeze a huge amount into a one scoop tub. Great value for money, great flavours, will be back for more!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I have been to a completely different Seven - rude staff, poor food and horrible cocktails. Plus its bringing the trendies from East London down to the Village... which is not pleasing to Brixtonites. Definitely recommend trying some of the other (and in my view 100 times better) places in the Village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CaroBrixton and thanks for commenting. I have since been back and... it was great again (besides slow drinks which we then sent back, no issues) Where should I head next? Mama Lan? Elephant? Would love your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete